View Single Post
Old
03-12-2013, 01:51 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 500
Peter Laviolette Discussion (April 28: Laviolette to return next season)

Philadelphia Daily News Article

Quote:
As for the coach, some believe Peter Laviolette's job was saved by Sunday's victory over the Sabres. I doubt it's that severe.

"I think Peter and our coaches have done a good job," Holmgren said. "I think our team for the most part is well-prepared."

With more time to practice recently, the power play has improved from its dismal start and the penalty kill has as well. But the muffed line change was not an isolated incident - Kimmo Timonen could be seen screaming at someone to jump over the boards as he came off during the Bruins game, for example. They also don't communicate well off the puck, and play tentatively too often, and for long stretches.

"Obviously, 'Lavvy' is an attack-mode coach," Holmgren said. "I think we have the players to fit that. Last summer we talked about changing our approach a little in how we defend our own end, and I think there have been growing pains in doing that. We need for everything to come together. We've seen it in bits and pieces but we need it to be on an every-night level. And that hasn't happened."

Laviolette gets the rest of the season to fix that, I believe. True, Terry Murray, a potential replacement, was fired after 29 games coaching the Kings last season. But that was an 82-game schedule, and new Kings coach Darryl Sutter left Murray's defensive system intact.

Could Murray do that with Lavvy's offense-first system? Hard to imagine.
First Thread

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-28-2013 at 06:36 PM.
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote