View Single Post
Old
03-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Gopher women's game was fun. Went with two of my teammates who are huge fans of the team. Still half empty but the crowds are getting bigger. A lot more family friendly than the men's games but not as silent as the Wild games thanks to the fans and the band. So in between the two.

First period, Gophers were playing sloppy. I hadn't seen them before, but they were bobbling passes that I could catch flat, I mean not just losing control, but flat out losing the puck over and over again. They were a little sluggish and I think were outshot in the first. Bemidji was getting the puck on net and crashing for rebounds, Gopher goalie was covering pucks quickly.

Second period was night and day. Gophers started flying and drawing penalties and outshot the Beavers something like 20-5. Got a goal and the crowd went crazy. It can get loud in there with the band, horn, and crowd. But it's smaller. Cool atmosphere.

Third period just wasn't a contest. I mean, Bemidji had a few nice shots, but the Gophers just dominated. I think they got four goals in that frame and got the shutout. They had some shifts where they were in the offensive zone the whole time, then changed behind the play, and that next line was in the zone the whole time.

Beavers never gave up though and battled without playing cheap. I thought they were better in the first, just ran into a great goalie. The pace of the game was slower than I'm used to (well except men's league), I'd say probably closer to a boy's high school game. There wasn't any full on body checking which didn't detract from the game at all. Not a lot of interference either. Just full on offense and board play, good battles along the boards.

Unfortunately, it seems they were resting Amanda Kessel as she is banged up, so she only played on the PP. She's got 94 points in 32 games. 20 higher than the next Gopher. 45 higher than the third. Just incredible to think about.

A few more impressive players were Meghan Bozek who I believe had two goals, she had a great deal of speed, controlled the puck well, and a very good shot. I liked Kelly Terry's game too, she's smaller but was really tenacious with the puck along the boards and had some speed as well. And Rachel Ramsey, former Wild assistant coach (and 1980 Olympian) Mike's daughter, was physically on another level, big and strong and had a bomb of a shot.

Gopher's goalie Noora Raty, from Finland, got her 40th career shutout which is an NCAA record. She's smaller but comes WAY out of the net to challenge and has a good glove and quick reflexes. Very calm too. Plays the puck well. Crazy thing is she's played in two Winter Olympics already, played at 16 years old in the 2006 Olympics and won the bronze with Finland in 2010.

So a very cool night. Tickets are cheap too. Bench seating so you can sit on the glass or up if you prefer.

Except for the bus ride home, where a guy who claimed to be from Jamaica and/or Africa was yelling about how he was going to kill and mess up this guy and swearing nonstop.
She was interviewed with Niklas Bäckström during the first intermission of the Anaheim game. Her English sounds so much better than his.
For her sake I hope they come up with a decent women's pro league in NA, I'd hate to see her waste the rest of her hockey career in Finland where the women's league isn't that good. She's also written couple of articles for Jatkoaika com (biggest Finnish hockey site, kind of HFBoards equivalent) and managed to piss of the head of the Finnish hockey fed by her brutally honest opinions of how they treat the women's national team at the federations.

I hope my hometown girl Susanna Tapani ('93 born, very talented scorer in ringette and hockey) chooses the college route (she's gotten interest from Boston and Minnesota) and goes over there in the future.