View Single Post
Old
03-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Hamilton Tigers

vCash: 500
G&M: Leafs and Raptors ticket price hike a simple case of supply and demand

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle9705729/

Quote:
...there is one caller to my radio show on Sportsnet 590 The Fan who was on my mind Tuesday, when Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. revealed Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors season-ticket prices will rise 2.5 per cent in 2013-14...

...snip...

.... during the recent NHL lockout he said he hoped the NHL owners took the players to the cleaners so that ticket prices would be lower, allowing him to take his young son to an NHL game. He’d consumed the piffle ownership feeds fans during any sports labour dispute: that while the guys in the suits are on the side of the fans, it’s those millionaire athletes and their insufferable salary demands that are driving the cost of pro sports beyond every fan.

Unhappy with my response, the caller e-mailed me to tell me I needed to stop believing all the “left wing” economists who believe the direct correlation between players salaries and ticket prices is overstated. Player salaries, the e-mailer assured me, drive ticket prices. Because that’s what NHL commissioner Gary Bettman says.

Fact: The NHL’s salary cap falls next season from $70.2-million (pro-rated) in 2012-13, to $64.3-million (all currency U.S.) next season.

Fact: You will pay more to see the Maple Leafs, even if they lose every game from hereon in.

Hamilton Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote