View Single Post
Old
03-13-2013, 12:10 AM
Blues88

vCash: 500
It is frustrating to watch him this season because its obvious that he has the skill and the mind to be much more effective than he currently is. He's making some ghastly reads and has been less than stellar below the goal line (where he absolutely shined last season). He seems less confident with the puck and sort of lacksadaisical with his passing out of the zone. I think its telling that he's not getting his shot through from the point as much this year.....something seems up.

And that something just seems like rust, fatigue, and a bit of complacency. He seems to be going through the motions instead of moving the puck out on defense and into high percentage areas on offense. He'll snap out of it as the season progresses.

As a sidenote, its interesting to me that the play of AP and DB has been downplayed in favor of blaming goaltending and injuries. Fatigue is an issue, injuries are certainly an issue, but no matter how deep this team is now, the tone is set in large part by these 2 players. Backes is playing with a bit more urgency in the past few games, but I'm not going to relinquish my stance that both of them weren't as intense as they could be for most of this season. Backes probably won't be our top scorer this season, but his intensity and drive sets the table for his teammates going into every game. Same goes for Pietrangelo's technical, smart play. No one was going to be able to look DB in the eye last year after giving less than maximum effort. He was THAT guy. And it was awesome.

tl;dr There are a number of factors, but AP and DB should be playing better.

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote