View Single Post
Old
03-13-2013, 07:37 AM
  #168
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 34,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Couturier is in different category offensively. If not two categories above offensively. Couturier 1.67 PPG compared to Gauthier's 0.97 PPG as 18 year olds. Defensively both are NHL ready at 18. Couturier has big edge with +/-, Gauthier has the edge faceoffs. Gauthier may win Guy Carbonneau Trophy this year, Couturier did not. Both played on good clubs. With Couturier struggling to score this year I fear Gauthier doesn't have offense to stay in NHL. If he does you'll looking at big, bottom line center, defensive specialist.
You're reading too much into stats.

Gauthier is still developping and has another couple notches to go. His numbers are not as flashy 1-because he is a rookie in the QMJHL so there is an adjustment to the extra travel, bigger/older players plus length of schedule. 2-Couturier was #1 center on his team at 17 and 18. Gauthier has Lavoie in front of him playing with Trainor. That has an effect on his numbers.

I see him as a guy with 50% chance of being a #2 NHL center, 25% chance of being a #1 and 25% of being a #3. The odds of him being bust are very low because he plays a mature 2 way game and already uses his size unlike a lot of junior players who play one way and relay only on their hands and vision.

Monctonscout is offline