View Single Post
Old
03-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwhiteandGreen View Post
As much as I agree with seeing Jones back, this game was Plymouth's least impressive showign defensively in the last several games. NOT saying this is Mitch's fault by any stretch, but MacDonald's absence combined with Jones's return and the lack of defense by Wilson and Rakell (scratches) is at least a blip in defensive chemistry that I agree needs to get addressed. Things were going very well defensively, then the Whalers changed up, and we held our breath - not exactly how I was hoping to spend every playoff game. I have enough confidence in the team (incl coaches) to believe this will smooth out with the remaining games in regular season play, though. Defensive play by all players (incl forwards) will be key whoever is in net for Plymouth.
If all seven defensemen are healthy, I would expect Vellucci to go with the more experienced players and Jones to be the healthy scratch come playoff time. It will just be nice to have a little depth at the position, as the team has been forced to dress only five guys a few times due to injuries.

I think we both agree that defense will be the key to Plymouth having a successful postseason run. Having Ned in goal instead of Mahalak helps, but the defense cannot hang him out to dry like they did on Sunday. Hopefully it was just due to all the scratches, but it is still a concern. The Whalers had a solid goaltender in Scott Wedgewood last year, and the defense let him down in the playoffs.