Thread: Player Discussion: Erik Gustafsson (2012-13 season and beyond)
View Single Post
Old
03-13-2013, 10:02 AM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm not too concerned with Gus getting sent down. I'd rather see him get good minutes in the AHL to work on whatever it is he needs to work on than get third pair minutes and keep psyching himself out (which he appears to be doing, judging by his comments). Gus hasn't been bad but if he needs to work on something let him do so. The difference between Gus and his replacement is not going to make or break this season (which appears to already be broken anyway).
I'm starting to think the guy coaching the AHL players might be the problem here... all the guys who played 1/2 a year for Murray in ADK were very sluggish to start the year. Gus looks like he's regressed a bit from last year, Sean Couturier has certainly regressed, Brayden Schenn was downright awful to start the year out, Eric Wellwood looked like a shell of himself over his 4 games up here.

I never thought about it before, but when your AHL coach preaches defense above all else, which is exactly the opposite of the run and gun system your NHL coach preaches, there's probably going to be a bit of a disconnect there when players get called up and that can't be very helpful to them. It's gotta be tough to basically have a switch flipped as to how they're supposed to play the game. Going from ADK to Philly is like a complete 180 on the approach to the game.