Thread: Sean Couturier
View Single Post
Old
03-13-2013, 10:09 AM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
From a pure statistical perspective, I think that's right.

On the other hand, it is pretty clear that Couturier's offensive-zone confidence is completely shot right now. A bit more puck luck would probably translate to more than just the extra two goals, no?
Potentially, but I think it's fairly ridiculous to say it's all confidence and to imply that if he his shooting % was a little better (aka he has an extra 2 goals), that his confidence would be boosted through the roof and he'd have all these extra points.

Sean Couturier has played very poorly this season in general. He's especially been bad in the offensive zone. He has bad stats overall, but really bad stats in the offensive zone. I personally think those bad stats are deserved based on the caliber of his play. Those bad stats aren't the product of bad puck luck or a lot of shots ringing off iron, they're the result of poor play. To say anything else is disingenuous.

That doesn't mean I'm worried about Couturier or his development, but let's call a spade a spade. Shafer tried to make Couturier's poor stats out to be nothing more than an "unlucky" shooting percentage and that's simply not the case. And I think it's dishonest to try and pump up our prospect's stats by saying things like that. Couturier is struggling this year for reasons far beyond "shooting percentage", and I think Shafer knows that.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote