View Single Post
03-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis
vCash: 500
I never heard what happened with the assault charges on Eager, that was sometime in the summer or during the lockout, I forget.

But the main drawback with him is the contract for next year. Edmonton got Brown and Brown is better than Eager in the same role, they've decided, so it's not a slam dunk that Eager is just "finished" or whatever - if he had been waived without that factor, it would have been more of a red flag. I'm usually in the camp that isn't too worried about finding/dealing with cap space issues, though. Eager's $1.1M hit next year isn't much more than whoever else would take a roster spot. As long as he's good enough that nobody else *has to* take his roster spot. I don't have a pro scouting opinion on that, haven't paid any attention to him this year.

Bottom line, I'd ask my pro scouts how he's playing, and if everybody agrees he's capable (Armstrong isn't setting the bar too high), I'd put in a claim. Bergevin will have his own insider opinion on Eager, though, and the team in general probably likes Armstrong better than any of us do. So it'll be totally understandable if they pass again. You can't really argue with the success the team has had with the guys on hand right now, and there aren't obvious gaping roster spot openings for adding guys.