View Single Post
Old
03-13-2013, 12:37 PM
truebluegoalie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter Scale View Post

Outside of Rick Nash, Gaborik, and Richards (at least when the last two show up to play), this team is built to play defensive-minded hockey and grind. I don't see any of Callahan, Stepan, Hagelin, Miller, Powe, Halpern, Pyatt, Boyle, Asham, Haley, or Bickel being able to consistently make a pass, stick handle, or move in a way that would allow this team to play a puck possession game or offensive-minded game. It just isn't any of those players' strengths.
It doesn't have to be one or the other though. It is ridiculous to think everyone on this team has to dump it in and grind. Can we really expect Gaborik to grind along the boards after it is dumped in? He shouldn't have to.

Gaborik, Richards, Nash, Stepan, Hagelin, five of your top six that should (when they are playing well) have the skill to gain the blue line without dumping it in and instead make plays. And Cally has enough skill to adapt. Let the bottom 6 grind away.

That is on torts for not adapting to new personnel in the dressing room. At the same time that only works if the new personnel are actually doing what they are capable of, which they clearly aren't either.

I agree with nac mac, everyone is to blame here, the coach hasn't adapted, the players weren't prepared and it looks like some may have stopped responding to the coach. One thing to remember with all this discussion of firing torts is that it is always easier to fire the coach rather than the players. I don't think Torts will get fired this season, even if they miss the playoffs, but they had high expectations, and if they start off slow next year or do poorly he is more likely to be canned.

Last edited by truebluegoalie: 03-13-2013 at 12:43 PM.