Thread: Waived: Ben Eager - *CLEARED*
View Single Post
Old
03-13-2013, 01:49 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
But what good is keeping the get out of jail free cards, not like you can frame a unused one after the fact. We have 2 and I question who really qualifies for it.

Maybe we just do a regular buyout then, not sure if it's allowed.
You've got 2 buyouts that you can use in either this coming offseason or the following one. My guess is Horcoff is a compliance buyout in the 2014 offseason, so really we only have 1. Since you can't re-sign your own compiance buyout, it's possible to work out a trade-and-buyout deal with another team.

Say Philly wants to keep Briere for a few more years but can't afford to carry his $6.5m cap hit after this year. They could potentially work out a deal where they trade Briere to us along with something of actual value to us (1st rounder, for example) for a lesser asset (lower round pick or prospect we don't want). We buyout Briere, who signs back with Philly for a lower overall cap hit, but ends up with more money in his pocket. We get an asset, and all it costs is money and one of the comlpiance buyouts. Though the Rangers would probably be a better team to use in my example since Slats and Lowe often did stuff like that back in the day (not necessarily with buyouts though).