View Single Post
Old
03-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Has he even been used on the point on the first PP unit to start the season? I know our PP is piss-poor regardless of what we do but are we putting our confidence in him to at least PLAY on that first unit? No we're not. So we expect him to put up points but don't give him the best chance to do it? We put him out there on the 'BLACK HOLE PP' with Jones, Mitchell and Palushaj?

I guarantee that if a new coach (that knew what he was doing) was hired TODAY, he'd put EJ on the point on the 1st PP unit.

EJ can't get shots through??

I think it has a lot to do with who is setting him up as well. A lot of times, it's a desperate forward trying to get away from the forechecker with a weak pass to the point, leaving the pointman a split second to get the shot off, or try to do something else.

Ryan O'Reilly would be a good pairing for EJ on the PP, I really think they'd be able to set each other up nicely. Big SHOCKER, it's never even been tried.
Other posters on here have pointed out before that EJ is absolutely terrible at getting his shot off quickly. I agree that EJ can't really produce power play points the way Sacco has his PP units idiotically set up, but part of the reason EJ hasn't been used on the PP's 1st unit is because he just hasn't been that good on it. Again, he's been hesitant and indecisive with the puck. I don't think it's just a matter of setup passes--EJ right now isn't very good at settling the puck down and getting a shot off quickly, or at the very least, walking the line and then shooting when he finds an opening.

I don't think EJ's shaky play on the PP is justification to continue this stupid 5-forward PP, but there's at least some method to Sacco's madness.