Thread: Post-Game Talk: Habs 4, Sens 3 (SO)
View Single Post
Old
03-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Larionov

vCash: 500
I was fortunate enough to be at the game tonight. (Section 110 of the Bell Centre.)

That was a heck of a game to watch live. Great action, and perhaps the fastest game of the season. Guys were flying out there. What impresses me most is what a smart game we play - Ottawa plays a speed game, but generally manages to make smart plays with the puck 90% of the time. Usually if a team plays a speed game, as Edmonton does, you see giveaways all over the place. We have a few, obviously, but by and large it's pretty good. Guys like Condra, Smith and Greening all play very smart hockey.

To the extent we do make mistakes, it's usually young defensemen like Gryba, and occasionally Wiercoch, who make them. As my wife's Acadian relatives would say, "C'est kind of normal." These guys are getting invaluable experience right now that will set them up for future success.

On the negative side, Mark Stone simply doesn't skate well enough to play in the NHL right now. He looks terribly out of place, especially in a fast game like tonight. He needs to spend a summer hanging out with crazy Tony Greco and a power skating instructor if he ever wants to be an NHL regular. Latendresse is in a somewhat similar situation - he played a decent game tonight, and you can see that his hockey instincts are great, but again, his skating really limits him right now.

Finally, Ottawa was clearly the more physical team tonight. Haven't seen the final hit totals, but it sure looked to me like Ottawa was laying most of the ones that mattered. The Habs will have more than a few dudes in the trainer's room tomorrow.

Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote