View Single Post
Old
03-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
The Twilight Series, 6/10.

I thought it was a good satire on 'love', particularly towards the naive nature of teenagers when it comes to their relationships. Something like, "It's okay, daddy. I don't care that he dropped out of school, fathered a child from a previous 'girlfriend', does drugs, came out of prison, and has no family -- I will always love him!" Pretty much the same message from this film, except replaced with vampires, werewolves and a human-being stuck in the middle as the apparent obstacle.

It doesn't get full marks because it's clear that the film goes through an absurd amount of time repeating the same message, over and over. I don't know if this is purposely done to dumb it down for the masses, particularly teenagers, but I guess it worked -- look at how much it sold. For me, I got bored fast.

The funny part, and why the rating perhaps surprises you, is that people actually think this is real. It's one big joke. And no matter the proportion that the film goes to satirical levels on love, people still think it's real.

In reality, it's quite a shame, though. That is, this fantasy land of 'true love' and 'love having no obstacles' does not exist. The critical lens needed to see this seemed to have been lost somewhere, or maybe people just don't care.