View Single Post
Old
03-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
You can call it poor asset management if you'd like and I'd agree with ya, but the fact is that Lupul couldn't stay healthy in Anaheim (and is still struggling to) and Gardiner is still a prospect. He had a good season last year but who knows if he'll turn into another Luke Schenn or not with the Leafs.

Beauch is the top defensemen on the best team in the west, maybe even the league IMO. The Ducks are better off in their current situation than they would be with injury prone Lupul and Gardiner. However, I agree that they should have kept everyone and just signed Beauchemin to the extension and never let him go to the Leafs in the first place.
Not sure Gardiner counts as injury prone just yet, though it's never good when a player that young gets a concussion. The only reason he's in the AHL putting up great numbers is that Carlyle likes meathead blueliners even more than Sacco. I'm sure once the Leafs start their mid-season swoon Gardiner will be called up soon enough.

Bottom line, Murray had to give up a top defensive prospect to fix a major mistake on his part. That's just dumb no matter how you spin it. Even then he still has Lupul and Gardiner he can use as trade bait to address other needs.

Murray lucked into a better coach and already had a pretty solid roster, so he's looking okay despite that move. But I think if he tries more big moves like that he's going to run the franchise into the ground. His next big test will be if/when they can't reach a deal with Corey Perry.