View Single Post
Old
03-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Alpine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjoe64 View Post
Looking for input

Son has dual citizenship. Born in Canada, British parents. First year Midget AAA, (1997) possible QMJHL draft, but not high I think. Did play in Q prospects game at the monctonian. Kid is very good academically and may want to attend University in the UK. What are his hockey options
Obviously not any University hockey, but I do remember Canadians playing with Dundee Rockets and Fife Flyers.
Advice Welcome
If he played in the Q Prospects game at the Monctonian somebody is watching him.
If he's not drafted as a 16 maybe as a 17..look at the Saulnier twins.
If he played at the Prospects game he's probably a Maritime based guy? Then he will certainly be drafted by a Maritime Jr League team. Many MHL players move onto CIS (university hockey) and many could play in the Q but decide to play MHL because they can attend Uni/College full-time.
But if academics is what he wants and has a chance to study over seas that's also a good choice. As an old guy.... let him decide with support He's got two years before graduating High School and two years of Midget AAA left if he chooses. NCAA is still an option.
I remember a guy named Crossman that had may chances to play in the Q but was so dedicated to education that he'd only affiliate with the Wildcats for home games whilst playing MHL. He went on to STU and got a free degree. There was also a Melanson lad that played Q who played for U de Moncton taking a medical degree using his Q scholarship. Then there's Scott Toner who turned down the Q. He was an MHL/CJHL and AUS/CIS All-Star who got his education degree and is now a teacher.
The options are many/

Last edited by Alpine: 03-14-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote