View Single Post
Old
03-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Snotbubbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Bear in mind at the time Richards was traded, Doughty was still unsigned and Johnson was the cornerstone defenseman until Doughty was locked up. Voynov was also unproven. It wasn't until training camp, when Voynov filled in nicely during Doughty's absence, that the Kings brass were comfortable with calling him up and eventually shipping Johnson out.

So... the Flyers likely would not have been able to acquire Johnson at the time of the Richards trade. Pronger was also healthy at the time.

I still think the Flyers made a mistake by trading Richards and Carter, and instead gave the reigns to Pronger for leadership. However, I don't think it was necessarily a bad move on Holmgren's part not insisting on getting Johnson back at the time.
Both the Richards and Carter trades were beauties for Philly. I would do those again 100 times out of 100. The problem for Philly was that Pronger got injured and it left a massive hole at the #1D position that Philly never filled. Having Matt Carle might make the Flyers a 4-6 seed, but they would never be serious contenders. Sucking this year and landing a prospect that has #1D potential and then finding a replacement for Timonen next year and Philly will be serious Cup contenders for a long time and not just a playoff team that can win a round or two.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote