Thread: Great Britain: British players abroad
View Single Post
03-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Dustin Peener
First of his name
Dustin Peener's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 66,857
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by cgjoe64 View Post
Looking for input

Son has dual citizenship. Born in Canada, British parents. First year Midget AAA, (1997) possible QMJHL draft, but not high I think. Did play in Q prospects game at the monctonian. Kid is very good academically and may want to attend University in the UK. What are his hockey options
Obviously not any University hockey, but I do remember Canadians playing with Dundee Rockets and Fife Flyers.
Advice Welcome
If he comes over at age 18 he's probably not good enough to play in the EIHL as an import (still an import despite the dual citizenship) He wouldn't require a work permit to come here so he can play in the EPIHL as an import, though it's very odd for a team to sign an import that young. But then again if he's in university, he would be very inexpensive to sign. I think the best option in this situation would be to attend Sheffield University and play for Sheffield Steeldogs, or maybe somewhere in the Midlands like University of Warwick and play for Telford Tigers. Both teams would be looking for good cheap imports. Both good universities and a decent standard of hockey. There is a university hockey league with unlimited import numbers, but the standard isn't very good.

But my personal advice would be to stay in North America if he's good enough to play in the Q or Jr A then NCAA. In the future he could come here and study for a masters, lots of EIHL players do that as the teams have links with the local universities. Typical EIHL imports either play Jr A then NCAA D1 and maybe a couple of years in the ECHL before coming here, or Major Junior then CIS or ECHL.

"One of TJ's great personal contradictions is when he pretends to be all spiritual and accepting of everyone and everything and then hilariously acts in completely the opposite way. I'll point it out the next time he does it. Thanks for reminding me." - Ceremony

Last edited by Dustin Peener: 03-14-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote