View Single Post
Old
03-14-2013, 10:53 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I'm not the least bit interested in selling draft picks for rentals at our present position. I remember the Thrashers did a similar thing years ago and that really depleted their depth and set them back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Atlanta chasing a rental like Tkachuk was very pricey and had the potential to be BRUTALl for this franchise. The picks traded to acquire Tkachuk for what turned out to be 22 games turned out to be Ian Cole, Philip McRae and Brett Sonne. Sonne isn't much to get worked up over, but McRae is decent and I'd love to have Ian Cole.

Thrashers also traded a serviceable vet (Metropolit) who had 14 goals that year. The part that could potentially have been crippling to this franchise was the condition placed on the Thrashers re-signing Tkachuk. Had they re-signed him, their 2008 1st (Bogosian) would have went to the Blues. Tkachuk was unlikely to re-sign there, but imagine if ASG had convinced him.

As much as I love Tkachuk, how bad would that have been for this franchise?

That would be like the JETS going all in and trading for Perry. Great player who will help guarantee us a playoff spot, but not enough to make us a true contender. Not to mention, he'd surely walk as a free agent in July.

Now is not the time to be buying at the deadline.
No where did Jet say we were gonna make Waddell-like boneheaded moves. Adding depth could be as simple as moving a 3rd or 4th rounder for a 3rd/4th liner to upgrade someone. We have plenty of picks this year. Scheif is likely to be in the NHL next year with Trouba who looks close. Combine that with guys like Postma, Redmond, and Cormier who are the cusp of being full time NHLers and some of the recent draft picks that are looking good like Lowery amoungst others, and you things are not nearly are bad as people make them out to be. Do people even realize how big of a deal it could be if this team make the playoffs? How many years in a row has this team missed the playoffs?