View Single Post
Old
03-14-2013, 02:06 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Hate this notion, what if Bourdon became the all around minute munching RH shot (for you PRnuck) defensman with top pairing upside.Yeah Kopitar was the consensus pick there, but claiming that pick cost us a cup is laughable, and definitely one where hindsight is 20/20.

I just don't like knocking a kid who died tragically, he projected to be a very similar player to many people are after right now. Lets leave it at that.
that would really be a huge surprise considering he's a left handed dman, that had played the left side his entire junior career.

I hate knocking a kid who's died tragically as well. And I did like Bourdon's upside overall. But he wasn't a draft need for this club at the time, as we did have another top young left handed dman coming up our system in Edler, who was just drafted a year earlier, and this was during a time we still had Ohlund around.

It's much more likely that Bourdon would have been stuck in a 3rd pairing role behind Hamhuis and Edler, then him suddenly becoming right handed, or even suddenly converting to a right side dman - as we've seen this is not an easy task for most dmen in this system, especially one who has never played the right side before, and those who's hockey sense has been questioned (as Bourdon's was right from when he was drafted).

Kopitar was the no-brainer pick at the time, and still is, regardless of hindsight. Going over our draft discussions over the past several years, Cody Hodgson may have been the only player who was more of a consensus to take when our pick came up, after Kopitar - who IIRC pretty much everyone here wanted this team to take when our pick came up.

It still would have been great to have Bourdon. Worst case, I still saw him projecting into a top-4 dman and could have been used as valuable trade bait to address a positional need. But at the time of the draft, Bourdon, a left handed, natural left side dman wasn't a positional need for this club. Kopitar, a big talented center with top line potential, was a big need for this club, especially considering that at the time of that draft neither Henrik nor Kesler were projected to develop into the star players they have in their current top-6 roles.