View Single Post
03-14-2013, 03:13 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
While I agree that Tokarski is doing well, I don't think the Habs should be picking a goalie in the first 2 rounds irrespectively of his performance or acquisition.

In a draft as deep as this one, I'm convinced that Timmins can find some 1st round type talent in the first 2 rounds at either the forward or D position.

Also, Ryan Kennedy's argument comparing us to the Devils is somewhat flawed because Price is still so young. That being said, I agree that the Habs desperately need to improve their goaltending prospect depth.

We're already deep in solid D-men prospects, so here's how I'd hope to see the Habs drafting (within the realm of reasonable balance between positional needs and best player available):

1st round: F
2nd rd: F
2nd rd: D
2nd rd: F
3rd rd: G
3rd rd: F

Goalies are much harder to project at age 18. In my opinion, you're much more likely to find elite goaltending in the 3rd round (or later) than you are to find elite offensive or defensive talent in the 3rd round.

Lundqvist was drafted in the 7th round. Rinne was drafted in the 8th round. Quick was drafted in the 3rd round. Craig Anderson was drafted in the 3rd round. Twice. Tim Thomas was drafted in the 9th round. Since goalies' development can happen much later, you can even find solid undrafted goalies playing in Europe, e.g.: Fasth.

A goalie drafted in the 1st round is indeed more likely to play in the NHL than a goalie drafted later. However, I would only draft a goalie in the 1st 2 rounds if there are no players remaining that project as top 9 forwards or top 4 D-men, and I don't think that will be the case in 2013.
Agreed, you don't take a goalie early when you are in a forward deep draft and your biggest need is forward. There are lots of good young goalies who are already being developedin the NHL, we could make a trade for one and it wouldn't be that hard.