Thread: Speculation: It's Time to Tank: Who Gets Moved
View Single Post
Old
03-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Pantherfan12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
We are last in the league. We're not going to trade our 2nd. That pick is going to be like a late 1st, in a great draft.

Nope, Versteeg has been playing like an idiot since halfway through last season. He thinks he's Pat Kane now and tries to stickhandle through the entire team every game, and every game he turns the puck over. It has nothing to do with any injury. It's mental. The only thing the injury has done is make him look even more foolish.

So it's Corey Perry or bust? There are several other players we could sign to replace Versteeg. If we trade him now, we save some money on his salary for this season. We'll have lots of money to throw at a FA. Money talks. That's how we got all those free agents two years ago.

Everyone wanted Versteeg back because we were hoping that he'd get his head straight and stop playing like he thinks he's Pat Kane. He still plays the same way. If he doesn't change, there's no way that line will ever get back to playing the way they did the 1st half of last season.

Versteeg isn't a 1st line player, so we don't have to worry about replacing him with a 1st line player. We can sign a good 2nd liner with that money.
No, It was injury and not mental. I've seen interviews with him and he spoke about playing injuried. He had hip surgery,like I mentioned before, which means he had to have been struggling during the season.
Injury aside, I actually want more cocky,a bit selffish players on my team. No one complained when Bure was scoring 60 goals for us. While I am not comparing Bure to Versteeg, I am saying I have no problem watching him try too, or succeed in stick-handling his way into the zone instead of the ol' dump and chase. Is there a problem with him maybe wanting to be more like his old teammate, Pat Kane? Maybe he's being hard on himself because he expects more out of himself and he wants to contribute more. Maybe he's been working on his stick-handling more during practice and wants to be a more dementional player, Who knows? I think there are fans here who will just find any reason to have Versteeg traded. I am not saying that Versteeg is a true top line guy, but I am saying that he along side Weiss and Flash made up a great top line for us. That is also why I said unless we are going after and signing Perry, that we need to keep Steeg. I don't know what free agents will be available this offseason, but is any of them a true top line player or all around better than Versteeg? Can't we add a guy like Perry as well as keep Versteeg? I don't know about cap space, but is it scientifically impossible to sign a guy like Perry while keeping Versteeg and most of our team?