View Single Post
03-14-2013, 04:17 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
Jones is definitely going #1, even if it isn't the direct teams need, he holds more value then anyone. I'm a huge fan of Mac and Drouin, I think Drouin will put up Kane like numbers if not better, but Jones is a Pronger esq like franchise dman that comes around like once a decade. From what I have heard last year, the #1 pick was going to cost a team 2 1sts, and that includes a top10 pick. That was only for Yakupov.
I wouldn't go quite that far. He has a lot of Pronger-like qualities, but there's still some issue about Jones with regards to his hockey sense. If he hits his upside, yes, he most certainly is very Pronger-like, but that's a big IF.

In all fairness, all the defensemen available this year have some questions about their overall game. For instance, with Jones, there are questions about his hockey sense. In terms of the other guys, Josh Morrissey has questions about whether he can handle the physical part of the game. Ryan Pullock has questions about whether he can grasp defensive assignments (he was a forward until four years ago). Nikita Zadorov has questions about whether he has any offensive upside or not. Darnell Nurse has questions about his mental toughness.

I'm not slagging Jones because he has a wonderful skillset. However, Braydon Coburn and Erik Johnson also had wonderful skilsets around their draft time as well. The defensemen this year really are boom or bust. There's no middle ground. The thing currently working against the Flyers and defensemen is that this is a franchise that has trouble drafting, developing and grooming young defensemen. I feel comfortable with a guy like Terry Murray working with the young defensemen, but at the same time, am quite uncomfortable that Kjell Samuelsson works with them and not one has developed under his watch. If the Flyers would let Murray bring his own guys into Adirondack, I'd certainly feel more comfortable with the Flyers taking one of the defenders available this year.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote