Thread: Gagne
View Single Post
Old
12-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Gags1288

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Ok, is it just me or is it time that someone light a fire under his backside? I'm tired of watching this immensely talented winger underachieve and I'm tired of seeing people defend the guy. It's clear that he isn't working in this system and that there is no longer any excuses for him. He is healthy, he has had time to adjust to the new system in place, yet he still underachieves. He is currently our third line checking winger. Our third line checking winger. A player who was pegged as a superstar is now spending most of his shift checking. Why does this guy have no heart or desire to be one of the game's best players? I say it's time that an ultimatum be delivered to Simon and to either snap out of it or move on. We can't continue to wait on how Simon "progresses". This guy should be a 35 to 45 goal scorer but he is playing like he is only a 15 to 20 goal scorer.
I agree that Simon's offensive numbers are suffering, but he looked real good against the Isles with Roenick and Rex, so we'll see. However, his all around game is the best of any forward on the team, imo. He is an absolutely great defensive forward. He rarely gets caught and makes a lot of good defensive plays, in large part due to his speed (which I wish he used more often to go wide on d-men like in his rookie year). He is also very good in the neutral zone, one of the best in the league, imo. I can see him getting hot pretty soon and putting up some pretty offensive numbers, but his game is about so much more than that. I don't understand why you would want to get rid of the guy, he's still one of the best if not best forward on the team and only 23, despite not living up to expectations on the offensive end. It's not like he's a liability and needs to be dealt.