03-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Do people not know who Pronger is?

"But I’ve learned to use my stick and use my feet rather than just my body all the time. If I can just poke the puck away and transition to offence quickly, I’d rather do that than just get the big hit."

That is DIRECTLY out of the Pronger book of playing defense.

Pronger was mean and dirty, but overly physical he was not. Maybe earlier in his career he was a tad more physical but I really don't know who people were watching when they thought they were seeing Pronger laying out big hits... Prongers positioning and stick and his ability to transition very quickly were much bigger assets to him than his physicality ever were.
As an aside, my favorite Pronger play came in the Buffalo series. A Buffalo forward was about to skate into the Flyers zone, when he noticed Pronger. Pronger was positioned to cut off his approach to the net, and also to stop him if he tried to go up the boards. The forward stopped for a second, halting the rush, before dumping it to the opposite corner and hoping a teammate could win the puck battle. He stopped an offensive opportunity just by standing in the right place, and I'm sure his reputation/effective play thus far helped.

Who knows how long it will be before the team has another Dman like that.