View Single Post
Old
03-14-2013, 08:53 PM
BUX7PHX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Yeah, until you blow out your knee or have a catastrophic concussion in year two of the first deal. Guaranteed years (this isn't the NFL, ask DiPietro) are always better than trying to play the short game. I'd go 8/50 or 8/55 easily, depending on how the market shakes out and how he finishes. OEL strikes me as a pretty humble player, the same as Boedker. It's hard to predict what those guys will sign for. Boedker could get expensive if he keeps up the pace but the half season plays into the Coyotes favor.

I don't think he crosses $6 a year unless he wins the Norris. He is better than Yandle, but has similar numbers and zero leverage.
This was where my earlier question about arbitration was kind of answered. We simply have to set the market. There is nothing else but that to do. From the QO standpoint, if we low-ball his QO, he has the right to not sign. We would be dumb to not qualify him at the minimum four 1st round picks ($8.4 million per year, right??). Likewise, if he had the ability to go to arbitration, we have to know that teams would be lined up waiting to sign him at over what the arbiter's ruling is. Fortunately, arbitration can't happen yet, but we also have that to worry about in the future. If we give him a $4 million/yr deal, his agent knows that he can go to arbitration and get more.

OEL is worth at least $6 million/yr at the rate he is playing. He has similar numbers to Yandle, but Yandle is in his 6th year in the NHL, correct? OEL is in his 2nd. As nice as 4 1sts would be, he's worth a trade or roster cut to fit that extra $2.4 million under. The leverage that he has is he is our best defenseman. Hands down.