View Single Post
Old
03-14-2013, 10:56 PM
DisgruntledGoat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Teemu Selanne is my favorite hockey player of all-time. As a kid and teenager, I had a backboard-mounted wall-sized posterboard of him, no joke. With that said, this comparison easily goes to Sergei Fedorov, and I'm absolutely flabbergasted to read some of the attempts to demean Fedorov's career and especially his playoff record. Of course, these are using vacuous measurements such as points per game which completely diminish and discount the overall effect Fedorov had defensively and over the whole ice surface. Despite being a bigger fan of Lidstrom than Fedorov, he is, in my mind, the single most important piece of the 97/97/02 championship teams (Lidstrom wins out overall due to being a key player on the 08 team).
Ah yes, the two classic Fedorov defenses:

1. 'You just don't get it. . .he was really good!'

2. 'Ignore his numbers. . . he played defense!'

1. If we're all so dumb that we can't grasp the brilliance that was Sergei Fedorov. . .why don't you explain it to us? Because there has been a ton of stats and facts laid out in this thread that have all been ignored in favour of responses of, 'you just don't get it. . . he was really good!'.

2. And here comes the circular logic again. I posted the PPG stuff because the constant harping on what an accomplishment his four 20-point playoffs were. . .and as soon as I do that? The debate switches to how good he was defensively. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: either he was this brilliant two-way player or he wasn't. And if he was, then why did playing defense mean his offense dipped to second-line production?

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote