View Single Post
Old
03-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't get why people think the JVR for Luke Schenn trade was a bad trade for the Flyers. Schenn has been fantastic for the Flyers and has looked much more like the defenseman he was drafted to be - an elite shutdown guy. People talk about JVR and his 12 goals, but honestly, he wouldn't be putting up those numbers in Philadelphia. JVR needed to get out of Philadelphia, just like Schenn needed to get out of Toronto. This was a win win trade for both players.
I'll tell you why I think it wasn't good.

Schenn has looked like a big ass guy who has some idea of how to play defense, that got paired with Kimmo Timonen. The result has been a decent +/- and a lot of hits. I don't see the special player everyone else sees.

I reject the idea that JVR needed to get out of Philadelphia or that he wouldn't have succeeded here. He already had very productive stretches of play in Philadelphia proceeding that trade, and he was productive right up until his string of injuries last year. So unless you somehow correlate his injury luck with him being in Philadelphia, the evidence isn't on your side when you make that assertion. JVR is picking up right where he left off before the injuries, and no one has ever backed up the assertion that he needed a change of scenery with a shred of evidence that something was holding him back here. It's just revisionist history.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote