Thread: Marian Gaborik
View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 12:56 AM
SA16
Sixstring

vCash: 500
I personally would be interested in seeing a graph showing the correlation between a players regular season PPG and his postseason PPG. I would guess it's just slightly less than 1 (given sufficient sample) to take into account facing tougher defenses/goalies and the possibility of less PP opportunities due to refs "letting them play" (could check PP TOI in the playoffs compared to regular season to see if that is a valid assumption though).

I'm not entirely convinced there should be much of a difference and think the whole "playoff player" is entirely overrrated and just becomes labeled to a player for how they have performed over a couple of series. Same concept as being a "winner." which doesn't really have any basis in logic either.

Like Fedotenko, for example, is considered a "playoff player" larger because of his 03-04 series where he was a huge factor with 12 goals in 22 games. But what about the rest of his playoff career with his remaining 10 goals in 86 games? Useless offensively though obviously he is a very solid defensive player.

Understanding that it should approximate a players regular season info we should not expect Gaborik to have similarly poor playoffs in the future (or perhaps maybe we can from him if his body tends to wear down after playing 82 games and he's just not physically able to play at full strength at that point moreso than others - though that's not something that can really be proven or done anything on other than speculated so it probably should be neglected)