View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 01:29 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Disclaimer: I have no idea how good a coach Quinn is. He might be a superb coach.

With that out of the way, I'm not sure firing Sacco and naming Quinn interim coach is a good idea. It tends to lock the organization into that coach if he only does ok rest of the way (Richards, Capuano etc) and you don't explore other options going forward but make the interim coach the head coach next season.

There are a lot of AHL coaches that seem to combine the best of modern and traditional coaching. Demanding but without a lot of the mind games old school coaches love. Dallas Eakins and Jon Cooper are two examples of coaches like that. If we're going to get a new coach (which seems all but inevitable at this stage) I'd like Avs to explore all options and not just the lowest hanging fruit.
Agreed on all accounts.

I never liked the interim approach. It just shows you're indecisive and don't really know what to do. It's also too easy for that coach and team to get a short term boost from the change, and you're basing that performance on whether to hire them full time.

I much prefer making the change in the offseason unless you're a Cup contender, and it's apparent the current guy isn't working.

Either way, the guy you replace the last guy with, should be the guy you studied, and had many discussions over, and decided should be the next coach. It sends the message that he's the guy, and if you do it in the offseason, it makes for a clean slate on the new season, and a full training camp to get to know the players, and them you.

As much as I complain about Sacco, and want him gone, I'd rather it be in the offseason. Both for the reasons I mentioned, and to keep a short term boost in the standings on a losing season from getting the Avs a worse draft pick.

This team needs another highly talented impact player, and the higher the pick, and the better the odds are of winning the lottery, the more likely they can get that.