View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 01:43 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I like Hejda too, but the problem is they have too many top four, or bottom four guys however you want to call them. They need another legit top pairing offensive guy to really improve the unit.

Barrie right now, and IMO probably in the future is at best a 2nd pairing offensive D. Even if he could play the left side with EJ, I don't think he's a good fit on a top pairing having to rely on him consistently for a solid all around game.

Even if you attribute a player like Barrie's ability to rush the puck out of the zone as a defensive plus, it still forces EJ to be more of the stay at home guy to cover for him. Which severly limits his offensive talents.

What this team really needs is someone who has some defensive awareness to their game, and the right physical tools to hold their own defensively, to go along with some offensive prowess.

Obviously the more offense the better, but at the least a two way defenseman is a better choice for EJ's partner, especially on the top pairing. This is why Quincey so far has made the best pairing with him, aand coincidentally also coincided with EJ playing his best offensive and defensive hockey with the Avs. Hejda also early on last year made a great pairing when he was playing good solid two way hockey.

A defensive D is better for EJ, than an offensive D partner IMO, but they really need a two way D partner for him, with as much offense as possible if they want to build around EJ properly. Otherwise they're wasting his talents, and relying on him too much for offensive creativity which isn't really his strong suit.
Maybe Rob Scuderi is that guy. I'd like us to pick up someone like him since he probably won't cost a ton, could conceivably play the top pairing w/EJ, and if someone like, say, Siemens or even possibly Barrie proves to be a better fit, he can play elsewhere in the lineup.

Better yet, he's a left-handed shot. The problem with pairing Barrie and EJ together is that one guy will have to be on his off-side. That wouldn't be a problem with a Scuderi/EJ pairing.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote