View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 02:34 AM
TAnnala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RewBicks View Post
This is the problem with assessing Selanne's career in general: he wasn't even the best forward on the team in those earlier years with the Ducks, Kariya was. In fact, for most of his career, he hasn't been the best forward on his team. It's not even clear he was the best player on those Jets teams, as Tkachuk was a dominant force and undoubtedly deserves to be in the conversation after Teemu's heroic rookie season. He has been consistent, he is incredibly talented, he's a hall of famer for sure. But he's not what some people on here are making him out to be.

As far as who the better player is: I think it's hard to argue that Selanne had a better peak. For about three years, Fedorov was one of the top-three to five or so players in the league. Selanne has never had a stretch like that. But Selanne's career numbers are hard to beat. I also think that Fedorov's best season was on another level when measured against Selanne's rookie year which, as has been pointed out many, many times took place in perhaps the freakiest of freaky seasons in NHL history.
Well, Kariya being better than Selanne in their joined years is highly debatable and i would think Selanne has the better case. Helthier, higher production.
For the Jets team, Selanne was the slam dunk best player on that team. No contest.

BTW, in which years Fedorov was the best forward in his team?

For consecutive 5 years Selanne finished top-10 in points every year.

7th
2nd next to Lemieux
8th (2nd in PPG when he decided to stop playing after the Ducks were out of Playoffs)
2nd Next to Jagr
5th

Fedorov has 2 top-10 finishes in '93-'94 and '95-'96 in 2nd and 9th places.

That is not comparable offensive production. Is the gap in overall play enough to bring Fedorov to the top of this comparison? I sure as hell am not sure.

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote