View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 05:13 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

vCash: 500
I just completed a really long bio on Rejean Houle: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=170

I knew that he was used to shadow Bobby Hull after Claude Provost retired, did a little research into him last year, and was really impressed by what I found. Wanted to draft him, but got scooped by LeafsForever.

I'm happy to have him now, especially with Bobby Hull in my division. I pulled a lot of newspaper articles from 1971 that rave about the shadowing job that Houle did. Sports Illustrated's summary of the 1971 playoffs more or less said that Houle was the second most important Canadien in the playoffs after Smythe-winning Ken Dryden because of his work shadowing Bobby Hull (and Johnny Bucyk in an earlier series). There are also many references to Houle as a shadow and a utility player who could play all three forward positions throughout his career.

I think Houle's tenure as an awful GM overshadowed what he did as a player, and his playing career became pretty underrated as a result.