View Single Post
Old
07-30-2006, 09:43 PM
JrHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabsRule View Post
I just looked it up: In 1994, the Expos average crowd was 22,390.
I understand what you are saying, attendance could have been better. But just a few points:

Some sites have the wrong average attendance for that year. Total attendance was 1,276,250 with the team playing 52 home dates for an average of 24,543 per game.They were 32 and 20 at home and 42 and 20 on the road for 74 and 40 total record. I am not sure why some sites have that average wrong at 22,390

See this link: http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...N/attend.shtml

The team was really drawing poorly at the start of the year but it picked up steadily as the weather and the team heated up. The end of hockey probably was a factor too.

I went to that last home series of that strike shortened year. The Spos played St Louis in the first week of August. It was a 4 game series and the Spos took 3. The house was definitely rocking! That series drew 137,497 fans for an average of 34,374 per game. The Sunday game drew 39,044

Montreal had 29 home dates left. Drawing a million for those dates in a pennant race was well within reason. That would have boosted the year to 2.2 million plus with playoffs beckoning as well.

The irony of that season interruption was that it was supposed to be to help small market teams. Not only did it screw Montreal's best shot at the Series but MLB ultimately sold out the small market teams in settling the matter. This was the fork in the road for the success of the team

I used to go see the Spos at home and on the road. It was fun win or lose. I just cannot get interested in the Nats. It just isn't the same at all. I do still go to see some games, but the same fun is not there.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote