View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 07:37 AM
Brian28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I'm sure Edmonton has tried VERY hard to land UFAs and trade targets. Poor Tambo is a terrific GM but he just can't catch any breaks. 29 teams failed to get Kovalchuk. 29 teams failed to get Hossa.

How do teams like say...Dallas. Who don't have any first overall studs manage to make the playoffs? What big name UFAs did they sign? What big name trades did they make?

I fully support parity and I support high draft picks going to crap teams, but I also support the prevention of talent monopoly. Which is exactly what the Oilers are doing (granted with a funny success rate so far). Why can't Edmonton have,say, the second overall pick if they bomb out this year? Is Seth Jones that much worse than Nathan Mackinnon? Is Nail Yakupov that much better than Alex Galchenyuk (shouldn't be directing this question to an Oiler fan, but no he's not head and shoulders above Nail)? Is Tyler Seguin that much worse than Taylor Hall? Is Gabriel Landeskog or Jonathan Huberdeau that much worse than RNH? No. This stupid WE NEED THE TOP PICK CAUSE WE'RE SUFFERING has overstayed its welcome by now.

Edmonton has been recompensed with the top talent possible quite enough times now. I see nothing wrong with an opportunity at Jones, Drouin, or Barkov. Hell maybe someone takes someone other than Mackinnon first overall and you get your guy anyway. As a fan of a sports team or two, generally I've discovered that when a large mass of fans are aggravated by something that has to do with my team (Ducks being dirty in 06-07, Lakers being led by a ballhog for example) there's generally some kind of truth behind it. If I was an Oiler fan I wouldn't just be embarrassed by these consistent poor finishes, the thought of "fourth straight first overall pick" would make me feel absolutely disgusting. I can't bear the thought of the Ducks being in the hole so bad that we have to pick first TWICE, let alone four times.
To be fair the majority of Edmonton fans didn't want the last 1st overall. We were VERY happy to have not finished last in the league and were even more extatic over the fact we improved by 12 points from the previous season. When the lottery came up and Edmonton won many fans, like myself, felt bad for CBJ fans as they deserved ti have their pick of the draft for 1st overall.

Nobody here wanted to tie the league record for 3 consecutive 1st overall picks. Nobody is happy with the potential of another top 5 pick if the kids don't start picking things up. I also highly doubt we get a 4th 1st overall unless the new lottery gives it to us...and hopefully we'll be placing somewhere around the 10th overall so it would be quite a jump.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote