View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 07:49 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Voracek was far from a bottom 6 player on the Jackets. He was on the first line with Nash quite a bit. Simmonds was deemed 'untouchable' by Dean Lombardi and had a 40 pt season. Brayden Schenn was deemed the best prospect in hockey at the time of the trade. All three, high end prospects. The point is moot either way since Carter/Richards had 100x the value Gaborik has.

The vibe I got from the TSN crew was that they're shipping Gaborik for Torrey Mitchell, Zenon Konopka and Clayton Stoner.
Voracek looked bad in his final season in CLB. 46 points, getting top-line time. No surprise that when he went to PHI he was on their 3rd line.

Simmonds was a young, 3rd liner. Of course he had upside. That was my point. A 3rd liner description right now without knowing who they are talking about COULD be a young player with high upside playing 3rd line right now. JT Miller is playing on the 3rd line right now. Zibanejad is another example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
What Voracek was coming off back to back ~50 point seasons at age 20 and 21. Schenn was a top prospect. And I admittedly do not know how Simmonds was perceived while in LA/as a prospect.
He had 46 points his final season in CLB. And the team was down on him because it looked like he was regressing.

Simmonds was looked at as a 3rd liner. I really don't think they saw him turning into what he has with PHI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
No.

Voracek was a young ~50 point scorer (on a bad team, no less) with obvious room for more growth. A poster like you knows that 50 point third liners are a myth, for the most part, especially when they're doing it at 20 and 21 years old. He was already a legitimate top-six forward with his absolute ceiling being that of a first liner. He was widely considered a good, young, 2nd liner with upside. Schenn, about 6 months before the trade was being called the best player not in the NHL by some (probably the prospect enthusiasts around these parts mostly, but still... he was a very highly touted prospect). Simmonds was viewed, basically, a lot like Dubinsky, as a guy who was ideal on the third line but could play in the top-six, and do pretty well. Simmonds and Voracek were also both known to be pretty solid defensively. None of them were really considered "bottom six" guys; you could make an argument for Simmonds, and that's it really. Schenn was being talked about as a #1C kind of prospect and Voracek had proven himself as a young top-six talent on a bad team.
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Hornqvist? But he is not bottom 6.
Hornqvist was actually playing 3rd line earlier this season and last season with a ton of PP time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Teams are lining up for a 36 year old rental in Iginla but a 31 year old player signed for next season with 105 goals in the last 3 seasons is too expensive?
Exactly.