Thread: Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Jets 3/14/13 - Tort-O-Rella
View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 08:31 AM
HockeyBasedNYC
Back-checking Center

vCash: 1325
I've been extremely patient with the Rangers and even-keeled regarding the ups and downs thus far, but the last two losses are troublesome. However you want to spin it, lockout hurting certain players, no training camp, player turnover, etc... this isn't the same team as last year. I think that's more than painfully obvious now.

Last year there was a "feeling" that was with this team. Even with losses. They had an identity. Watching this team is like watching an 8 year old in a swimming pool for the first time - timid, frightened and always on the wall. Specifically Gaborik, who probably had the game on his stick, not once - but twice. If hes strong on the puck, there isn't a need to go to center ice for a penalty shot. But theres no play in the middle of the ice, none. The past two games have been incredibly drab, it seems like the same shift over and over and over again.

The blame needs to be spread around, and the coach is part of it, but I cant put it all on him. Glen Sather constructed this team, and as much as we want to believe that guys like Richards and Gaborik will suddenly snap back into top form - its a sad truth that these guys are just average forwards right now. And thats all Torts has to parade out there. If you want to put blame somewhere, put it at the feet of the architect. We can make excuses for these players all we want, but the fact of the matter is Sather's decisions havent panned out well - at least up to this point - and the shelf life of those decisions are expiring. (Again). Other support players value like Fedetenko's, Prust's and Mitchell's - probably shouldve been examined a little closer.

We had our shot last year and we missed the boat. Its looking more and more like Sather should have spilled the beans and picked up Nash then. I hate to sound this way because its very unlike me but I believe that now. To make matters worse it was a defeat at the hand of the Devils, which stings more from an historical perspective.

On a side note, I think what we are seeing is how important Marc Staal is to this franchise. His presence is sorely missed both in the defensive zone in front, on the walls and springing a rush up ice.

Am I being over-emotional? Maybe. But im not liking what im seeing and it doesnt seem to be getting better. There are players that are underperforming big time on this club and its a real shame because a kid like Stepan is coming into his own with points in what, 8-9 straight? Imagine in the Gabbys and Richards of the world were being themselves... Im sick of the Rangers being the same ole Rangers. And to top it all off - they lose two in a row and now have to go to Pittsburgh, thats the birthday present the Rangers gave me last night...

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 03-15-2013 at 08:43 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote