View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Northern Neighbour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Its also possible to be familiar with an act and not believe they are anything more than a rehash of a sound that has been done 100 times before.

Osheaga definitely is a Live 88.5 playlist, but I would say Bluesfest tends to fit Hot 89.9 much more.

Bluesfest was at its best when it ignored younger crowds IMO. Bring back more stuff like Joe Cocker, Stone Temple Pilots, Brian Wilson, hell even Kiss who at least put on a unique show. They have at least deviated from Sam Roberts and Metric this year though. That was getting a little overdone!

Either way, if GBS is there I will be there. Also looking forward to Balkan Beat Box, Rush (still havent seen them...), the hip, Weezer...maybe Tegan and Sara or Mother Mother if they fall on a day I am going.
I think this year's Bluesfest lineup is much stronger compared to last year, and I think overall it's actually quite good with a good balance of mainstream, indie, newer, and older acts. I'm, too, am glad that bands like Sam Roberts and Metric aren't come, but then again there are still several opening slots on the programme.

There are some bands I don't care for (Great Big Sea being one of them), but there are other acts that really interest. The first Saturday, in particular, if fantastic IMO (Belle & Sebastian, Sharon Van Etten, Neko Case, Justin Townes Earle, Fitz and the Tantrums, Amadou & Miriam).

But we all have our own musical tastes. To each their own.

I also don't think it's fair to compare Bluesfest with Osheaga - just two different festivals with different clientele. Each will bring in artists that are "unique and relevant", but it depends on what you listen to and what you like. The one thing that Bluesfest does better than Osheaga IMO is bringing in foreign artists and showcasing local acts. Bluesfest has also done well in bringing in emerging indie acts, like Bear in Heaven, P.S. I Love You, etc., and Bluesfest brought in acts like the Black Keys before they became big.

On the Lumineers, their album is pretty good. The song on the radio, though, is annoying and not even their best track.