View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 09:56 AM
jlockhart89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Thanks to Tyler Dellow, here's a list of notable guys drafted in the 3rd and 4th rounds between 2000-2004 who made it to the NHL:

Kurt Sauer, Mike Rupp, Dominic Moore, Lubomir Visnovsky, Niclas Wallin, Tomas Plekanec, Patrick Sharp, Christian Ehrhoff, Jordin Tootoo, Gregory Campbell, Valterri Filppula, Tom Gilbert, Clarke MacArthur, Jan Hejda, Tyler Kennedy, Ryan Callahan, Alex Edler and Johan Franzen

Point being is, even though you are dealing a lower pick, you still need to be careful about who you are acquiring because these guys do turn out quite a bit. For a team who wants to follow Chicago's model to fit under the cap, you need to draft these guys to fill the remainder of the team.

You could say Detroit uses smart asset management by using their first round picks as trade bait because they get similar value players later in the draft anyways. Our scouting staff isn't Detroit's, but a draft pick we trade for Brown could easily become a way better player down the road, as shown above. This isn't a problem if it costs a lesser draft pick, but a 3rd or a 4th is still significant for a team who isn't a cup contender yet.
So it's terrible asset management because 16 out of 300 players (im not conting tootoo or rupp) drafted in a 5 year stretch turned out better then him? Brown brings a consistent effort night in and night out and embraces his role far better then Eager did, while being a far better hockey player then Hordichuk is.

So we gave up a pick that had approximately a 5% chance of being a more effective hockey player then Mike Brown... I guess some people would rather just watch our shiny new prospects spoil in the minors year in and year out then get a player who actually brings a consistent effort finally.

Last edited by jlockhart89: 03-15-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Ha I see as I was slugging away on my iPad 2 other people mention the exact same thing. Point made.