View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
That's the part that scares me. It's all basically going to come down to what he wants to get paid. The blues signed Backes in a similar situation, with one year left at RFA, but that was after he had 2 30 goal seasons to go along with his superior defensive play, and at the center position.

That Backes contract pretty much sets the bar on other players on the team, which has helped us sign our other forwards (Oshie, Perron) to pretty fair deals. It's all going to depend on if Stewart will be willing to fall in line with that pay scale or if he's going to want to use the threat of offersheets as leverage against the blues.

If Army can get him signed in line with our other forwards, I think he does. If Stewart is looking for more than that, then he gets moved. If the return doesn't meet Army's standards then we use him for the playoff run and see what happens in the offseason.

Also, I'm not sure what the cap was when Backes signed his deal but the cap dropping will only help the blues case, as I'm sure next year it will be close to what it was back then. We shall see.
Last summer Stewart took a pay cut to stay in St. Louis, so I don't think he is going to be as difficult to deal with as many expect. I expect him to be looking for the deal Backes got ($4.5m), just a question of whether we can get it more in line with Oshie's ($4.175m).