View Single Post
03-15-2013, 11:20 AM
vCash: 500
Worst Bottom-6 In NHL?

I think our lack of depth on the bottom two lines has been our undoing this season. Of course, the bottom two lines aren't emphasized for scoring, BUT they are supposed to chip in OCCASIONALLY. Especially the third line. And we just don't have that. I can't think of a less productive bottom-6 in the NHL.

Pyatt 4g 2a 6pts (he's split his time between top-6 and bottom-6)
Boyle 1g 1a 2pts
Miller 2g 2a 4pts (both goals came in 1 game)
Halpern 0g 1a 1pt
Powe 0g 0a 0pts

Asham 1g 0a 1pt (12 games played)

You're 3rd and 4th lines shouldn't carry the offense, but they should be contributing every now and then. Between the three players in bold, each of which has played over 20 games, they've only scored 1 goal. Of which, Boyle gets 3rd line minutes (13:56 per game). Powe and Halpern each get close to 10 minutes a game and neither have produced.

We moved Rupp for Powe, and sure, Powe is faster, but at least Rupp would put a goal on the board occasionally and drop the gloves for his team.

And I know Nash has been fantastic for this team, but I can't help but feel we lost too much depth taking on that $7.8 million cap hit. Dubinsky/Anisimov were two critical role players for us each of whom can contribute in the 3rd line role. We lost Prust, who is having a great year for his role in MTL, because we didn't want to take on the $2.5 million cap hit (likely b/c of the Nash contract). We lost Fedotenko who was a solid role player, good defensively and chipped in goals when he could. Even guys like John Mitchell are better than anyone we were icing in the bottom-6 this year (he had 5g 11a for us in 65 games last season and already has 8g this year).

This team just doesn't have any depth anymore and it's a major issue this team has to address. Sure, the team isn't doing as good because their key players like Gaborik, McDonagh and Girardi are all having so-so years. Richards play is non-existent. But it's also because we lost WAY too much depth.

And Lundqvist isn't as good as last year, but he's still having a solid season and it's more because of the team in front of him then anything else. If your starting goaltender is a 2.27GAA and .920SV%, he should have better than a .500 record.

As a Ranger fan, at this point, I'm almost conflicted about the Nash trade because I'm not sure if we're really a better TEAM for it.

Look at Columbus, they added much needed depth, and they're having there best year in five years. We have too much top end talent (or at least referred to as "top end" talent not producing like "top end talent") and no one in the bottom-6 who can contribute ANYTHING.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote