View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The thing about Sanguinetti, and I think this applies to a LOT of prospects that lack confidence or are considered "busts", is that they need an NHL investment placed in them regardless of what they do at the AHL level within reason. When they have natural skill and a workable skill set, they need to mature into an NHL role. They're going to look brutal at the outset sometimes. Not everybody is Jeff Skinner and Justin Faulk. And I think that out of necessity, he was given that chance to succeed here. The Hurricanes are being rewarded with a player who is slowly rounding into the player he was in the AHL, which isn't a game breaker for sure but a competent puck moving guy who can slide in and out of the lineup and retains some value.

It's so strange to consider that, myself included, we were bemoaning the trades that brought both Nash and Sanguinetti "failed prospects" to our team less than 3 months ago and now both are playing fairly integral parts of what we're doing right now. I got seriously concerned when Sangs got boarded last night and got up slowly. I was thinking to myself, "who in the hell do we have in the chamber who can replace what he's doing right now?" and I am unsure if that's an indication of a SEVERE lack of depth or the role that Sangs has grown into.

For a more detailed opinion, I think his skating is superb. He has great offensive timing but is prone to the yips with the puck on his tape. I like his passing ability and his ability to find open ice, but only when he's playing with his skill and not his brain. Similar to Joe Corvo in that way. The less he's thinking and the more he's reacting, the better he plays. Defensively it's a work in progress. He's prone to losing his man in front of the net, but he's otherwise pretty competent with his stick in preventing chances. Not as effective playing the body as I thought that he was in the AHL, but it may come in time. He had something of a reputation as a decent hitter. He's not as soft as I thought he was going to be, but not as assertive with his physical play as he needs to be.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote