Old
03-15-2013, 01:57 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
I somewhat agree.

Fedorov's peak was outstanding but for much of the rest of his regular season career he was coasting in comparison -- and he had a team where he could do so.

He gets full marks from me for picking up again at playoff time but it is a luxury he enjoyed that he could pace himself in the regular season and have lots of gas left for the playoffs.

Most players don't get that opportunity.
which is kind of ironic because if there was one forward of the last 30 years who was born to play heavy minutes in all situations without gassing himself, it was sergei fedorov. i don't think for a minute he needed to coast to "save himself," even if he obviously took advantage of that luxury.

and that, by the way, is what made him such a singular and special player, and that makes him so hard to compare... to anyone. the conventional metrics: points, points per game, scoring finishes, paint a pale picture of what he really was. he may be the only forward i've ever seen who could control the game on both sides of the puck and over every inch of the rink the way bourque and chelios did on D. partly that was a product of the role of the center in the old soviet system, but partly that was the effortless stride and ridiculous stamina that sergei was blessed with.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote