View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 02:19 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
His performances were good, but overrated. I actually addressed that but it was ignored. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=233
I read that post, and I didn't ignore, it I just think it's a terrible abuse of statistics. Playoff point-per-game rankings that don't take games played, style of play, or opponents into account? Seriously?

Quote:
The only people making that argument are the pro-Fedorov crowd who want to pretend that playing with Coffey, Yzerman, Kozlov, Lidstrom, etc magically did not benefit Fedorov in any way.
Obviously, it helped him to more team success. It also let him coast in the regular season with no ill effects on his team after 1996.

Quote:
And again. Either Fedorov was a magical two-way player or he wasn't. If he WAS, then explain to me how having to play defense hurt his offense so much? That's not a all-time two-way player. That's a good offensive player, who became a 60-point man because he had to check.
Seriously? Fedorov was trained in the Soviet system as a defense-first player and came into the NHL a Selke-calibre forward. Steve Yzerman had to learn how to play defense - Fedorov did not.

Quote:
That post had nothing in the way of ACTUAL fact.
You disagree with it (and apparently the majority of other people who saw Fedorov play), so it's devoid of fact?

Quote:
Ohhh, really??? So if he was always facing these checking lines, then when was he himself checking other team's top lines??? After all, isn't that what we're always told? Fedorov's offense suffered because he was used to match up against other team's top players? You can't have it both ways. Either he was playing against top lines, or he was playing against third lines.
Neither of your "either or" scenarios is correct. Scottie Bowman rolled 4 lines and wanted all of them to be defensively responsible so they could play against anyone, but he preferred to go power vs. power. IIRC, Yzerman usually played against Sakic and Fedorov usually played against Forsberg.

Quote:
No, according to you, playing on an eigth place team does.
Nope.

Quote:
You were the one suggesting all the ways poor Sergei had it tough in Detroit.
Depends on your definition of "tough." If he played for a less stacked team, he'd put up more regular season points and have less playoff success. I mean, do you disagree with the idea that he basically stopped trying in the regular season after 1996 but maintained the level of play that he had shown previously (in both the regular season and playoffs) through the entire Red Wings run? Given the team success that followed after 1996, it's hard to say he made the wrong choice.

Quote:
No apparently the only things that matter are: one peak season and an opportunity to rack up decent but not amazing points over four extended, consecutive playoff runs.
I'll ask for a second time: If Sergei Fedorov wasn't a great playoff performer, then who was better on the 1995-2002 Red Wings?

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote