View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I've made comments as to how I enjoy Backlund's confidence and play as of late. Hell I've liked the way a lot of players have looked under Hartely, such as Stajan. But I also look at Backlund as a player, in his what, his 4th season now?

Stempniak is a great example of a guy who can take over a game and get 3 points and make plays every time he's on the ice every night. I could watch 1 game and think "boy, this guy is a top line winger". But obviously that's not the case over a significant sample.

I've yet to see Backlund even perform an impact game once, let alone see a legit top 9 guy over time. He's a depth centremen who cant win the puck off the draw on his best nights, so where's a number 2 coming from?
You're writing off a 23 year old player because he can't single handily take over games? Are you actually reading what you're writing? It looks like your expectations are completely out of whack.

Backlund at this stage, is without question, a solid 3rd line centre. So far this season, he's shown strides that he can become that solid 2nd line centre that he was expected to be, when drafted. He's suffered a couple of freak injuries, sure, but that categorize him off of that is not only terribly premature, but incredibly stupid too.

Lastly, few if any young centres dominate in the circle early in their careers. Even your seemingly bench mark comparison for all prospects in Crosby struggled early on in the circle.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote