View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
That all makes sense and I tend to agree with your ranking scheme not necessarily determining which 8 D-men make the squad, considering roles/responsibilities, redudancies in skillsets, experience, handedness, etc. I believe Subban is among the top 8 defencemen in Canada right now, but it seems like he needs an injury or significant slippage in play from one of Letang or Doughty (or possible Pietrangelo) to make Team Canada. Which in my view is unlikely. And that's alright. Back in 2010 Doughty was seen as a longshot to make the team, then next thing you know he's playing huge minutes on our #1 pairing. So anything could happen, and I have full confidence in Yzerman doing his due diligence and selecting the best players for the job.

I'd be curious to see the team rankings you alluded to above.

And, finally, Getzlaf is making a huge push for a spot on this roster, like I suspected he would. Currently tied for 6th in NHL scoring, well-above a PPG pace, and leading the Ducks to a (surprising) #2 position in the West. Obviously much will depend on the playoffs, and whether he can lead Anaheim on a nice run, but the downside is that we won't get to see him play again on the international ice until Sochi. If the Olympics started today I don't see how we could leave him off.

He'd probably drag Perry onto the team as well, although Perry is IMO capable of scoring much more than he is, and I'd like him to warm up to a 40-goal pace before I would want to see him on the team. His elbow this week was pretty ugly and the 4-game suspension much deserved, and unfortunately not atypical of him. With Perry you can certainly get the good and the bad. I've always thought of Perry having the better shot at making Team Canada than Getzlaf given he's a natural RWer, where we're comparatively pretty thin, a very good goal scorer, and isn't afraid to work the corners and the area in front of the net; whereas Getzlaf was caught up in a logjam at the center position.

Believe me I have noticed and I don't like it one bit. If Getzlaf and Perry are part of the team in Sochi, I don't like our chances at all. It means Hockey Canada is not thinking correctly or choosing correctly to play on big ice. If that's the case, then they better bring somebody in who knows big ice tactics, and no Canadian coach knows big ice tactics better than Andy Murray.

Let me rephrase that ) I'm glad to see both Getzlaf and Perry back in form as I support all my fellow Canadians, granted I'm not their biggest fan, I just don't think they are equipped to play big ice hockey.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 03-15-2013 at 03:00 PM.