View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 04:23 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Richards and Gaborik were fine last year in the same system everyone talks about and continues to mischaracterize. Their games have collectively fallen off a cliff. So, I think you're glossing over a lot when you say "underperforming." They suck, period.

You have a point about the powerplay which, with Del Zotto and Richards not playing well, is more than the Rangers currently have.

As for Kreider - hes quite clearly not ready to play a complete game at this level. Any confidence he did have was zapped right out of him by a huge Brooks Orpik hit.

I mean, thats what it really comes down to - people want Tortorella to forego accountability to be a complete hockey player on both sides of the puck and open up the offense. We're chastising a coach for demanding more out of his players. Its frightening that people are so quick to spit in the face of the problems that plagued this organization for so long.
Few things. Gabs is a 40 goal scorer on the right-wing. Not on the left-wing. Get him out of there, he's clearly uncomfortable.

The power play I'm going to give a bit of a pass to right now. It's been coming along somewhat, and we've had two opportunities in the past two games, one of which was 6 seconds long. But the problem is between the lines there, in the sense that the Rangers aren't drawing penalties either. Not enough offensive zone time. Not enough "beneath the hash marks" time. Torts's bread and butter system clearly not working recently.

Not going to argue that Kreider appeared not ready. It would have been nice if he had the same leniency and patience that is being shown to JT, who is also clearly not ready. JT stays in the lineup though because his defense is pretty solid for a 20 year old rookie. His offense is a black hole though, and he's had an opportunity to play with guys Kreider didn't have the chance to. When Kreider was playing with Miller and Callahan on the Rangers first win streak of the season, he looked comfortable. In that four game stretch he had a goal and an assist and was +4. Then Torts jumbled the lines, and all was lost.

Now, I'm of the opinion that in a shortened season it's not really the time to be developing young talent, there's no town for that. So sending Kreider down to get a "full season" in the AHL and top 6 minutes is fine by me. I just don't like that JT is being given chance after chance when he has proven nothing but good defensive positioning. This is causing the Rangers to run two fourth lines instead of a third and fourth line, but Torts loves it because jamjamjamjamjam.

Tortorella came into this organization preaching accountability for everyone. What he has shown is selective accountability. I don't know how anyone can argue against that.