Old
03-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah I think that was how most people felt. Bob had an ugly playoffs the previous year. Bryz was a proven goalie. The next year Bob looked downright terrible. The deal had to be done.

Hindsight is 20/20. When Bryz signed the contract, there were differing opinions about how good he was. Some thought he Vezina caliber, others thought top half or average. Very few (if any) predicted what we have seen thus far. I think your post pretty much sums it up. We all figured Bryz would suffice for a good part of his contract, and when he declined we would be scrambling. It has not gone as planned, unfortunately.
Yep, at the time I saw Bryz as a 5 year solution...it was clear Bob likely wouldn't be waiting around. Then we'd be back in the same boat. I thought the Vokoun/Develop Bob route had higher potential for a much longer term solution. The concept of Bryz collapsing didn't occur to me at the time, though I was a tiny bit concerned about Phoenix fans' predictions of failure due to him being sheltered in Phoenix. Not as concerned as I should have been, apparently.

Edit: I'll allow a few more responses. After that, unless the conversation takes a different route, this is discussion that can probably take place in the Misc. NHL Thread or the Goaltending thread.