View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
Agreed - and the NHL will primarily be looking at long term views when considering relocation ... and if an owner is willing to put up with a year or two at Key Arena i doubt that becomes an issue ... especially if it does get those upgrades outlined in that letter.
If we consider that the use of Key Arena would only be required if the Coyotes are relocated (expansion would happen after the new arena is done), I think the new owner could withstand losses by making them a "cap floor" team for those first two years. I don't think it would be hard, and without starting a conspiracy theory, I couldn't help but notice how many FA's the Coyotes will have this summer:

http://capgeek.com/coyotes/

The contracts for GM Don Maloney and coach Dave Tippett will also expire at the end of this season. It wouldn't surprise me if they traded Doan, since he only re-signed under the assumption that he'd finish his career in PHX, and that would take his huge contract off the books. They could probably acquire some players who have high cap hits and low actual salaries (maybe not Kiprusoff or Briere, but people with similar contracts), and sit just above the $44M cap floor and have the actual salary be less than that.

I don't know, I'm just speculating, but it would help offset the losses.