View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 05:00 PM
JackSlater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
And, finally, Getzlaf is making a huge push for a spot on this roster, like I suspected he would. Currently tied for 6th in NHL scoring, well-above a PPG pace, and leading the Ducks to a (surprising) #2 position in the West. Obviously much will depend on the playoffs, and whether he can lead Anaheim on a nice run, but the downside is that we won't get to see him play again on the international ice until Sochi. If the Olympics started today I don't see how we could leave him off.
I would still leave him off. Poor skater (relative) and a lack of versatility. Canada has no need of Getzlaf at centre. Crosby is miles ahead, Stamkos is clearly better, Toews is getting a spot as well and is far better suited for his role. I see no reason why Tavares, Giroux, Bergeron or E. Staal wouldn't all be superior options for that line.

Getzlaf isn't getting any PP time on Canada, he isn't killing penalties, and he needs linemates for very specific roles. Getzlaf either needs Perry or skaters who can cycle and bang down low while being fast enough to cover for his lack of speed. The only players I can think of who fill those spots are Nash and Kane. With Nash, I would prefer for him to have a bigger role as the main offensive engine of Toews' line. Kane actually spent time on a line with Getzlaf and Perry at the last WC, and while he looked good personally the line did not function overly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Believe me I have noticed and I don't like it one bit. If Getzlaf and Perry are part of the team in Sochi, I don't like our chances at all. It means Hockey Canada is not thinking correctly or choosing correctly to play on big ice. If that's the case, then they better bring somebody in who knows big ice tactics, and no Canadian coach knows big ice tactics better than Andy Murray.
I am highly in favour of Murray being involved with Canada in 2014. I hope, with futility I imagine, that he coaches the WC team this year and not Ruff.